Sunday, April 14, 2013

Divided Attentions

Greetings Everyone,
I am writing today to admit that I have a problem to you all.  I suffer from an acute form of ADD when it comes to my reading habits.  No, it is nothing that I have been to a doctor about.  It is not a problem for which I seek any medicinal treatment.  It is just one of those self-diagnosis issues for something that I simultaneously revel in and get frustrated about.

You see, I have this inability to read one book at a time.  My reading assignment list is reminiscent of that of a college student engaged in multiple classes with a heavy workload.  It is a personal chaos within which I seem very comfortable yet not as efficient as I would like when there is so many incredible works and worlds to become a part of. 

Of course, there are rules within the chaos.  I can never read two books that have themes that run too close to one another.  This would lead to cross-pollination of characters and confusion.  Another rule is that the book I choose to read at any given moment is geographically driven.  I have a book that I read at work, one that I read when I am at my fiance's home, one that I have in my bedroom, and one random book that I will read "anywhere else".  Yes, you could call that some kind of OCD issue, but I would prefer you didn't.  Haha.  I already feel odd enough about my reading habits! :)

At this time, here is a look at what I am reading:

On my bedroom nightstand is


At my fiance's house is

At work, I am reading


And the book I am reading at random times and in random places is



And with my personal life being so busy these days (as you can see I am getting ready for a gigantic event in my life), I have not been very good about finishing any of the books that I am currently engaged in reading.  House hunting, house selling, wedding planning, and packing have been dividing my attentions in a way that has not been conducive to my reading agenda.  Please don't read this as much of a complaint.  I am thankful for all of the great things that are happening in my life and a more normal routine will return at some point soon.  But I wonder at how much more enjoyment would be reaped  from my moments of literary escape had I a more focused set of habits. 
Is there anyone else out there who has similar quirks, or even other unorthodox rituals when it comes to reading?  I'd love to hear from you!

Great Stories will be back with another blog this week, so check back with us soon!

Chris (and the Great Stories team)

No comments:

Post a Comment